Saturday, November 23, 2013

Handmade Box Tutorial for Cards

I have been asked  to do this tutorial on card boxes.
When I make a card that is heavily embellished
and it won't fit into a envelope  I make a box
from corresponding card papers to present
the card in as a gift.

My customers that order cards from me like this idea as
it finishes off the card presenting it in a box ready for giving.

The concept is the same for all size boxes so I am going to try
and give you some general measurements. If you have any questions
please don't hesitate to leave a comment at the end of this blog.

1. You will need 2 pieces of cardstock - one for the lid of the box and one for the bottom of the box. The lid of the box you will need to make slightly bigger so it will fit over the bottom of your box - I usually just add another 1/4 of a inch on top of my measurements as exampled below so the lid fits nicely.
2. Firstly, you will need to measure your finished card and allow 1 inch around the card so it fits nicely in the box. e.g. if your card was 6x6 inches that would make your measurement 7x7 inches.
3. Then you need to add for the depth of your card, I usually add another 3/4 of an inch - so still working on the 6x6 inch card that would make your measurement 7.75 inches now including the depth. I sometimes will add more for the depth depending how heavily embellished the card is.

Note: I suggest you use some scraps for the first one you make and experiment with the sizes to enable your card to fit.
  
TEMPLATE BELOW IS OF THE 2 PIECES OF CARDSTOCK
YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE YOUR CARD BOX.
You will need to score on the uncut lines as named on the template and
cut on the corner cut lines, then you will be able to fold and glue
your corners which will form your box or lid.
I usually glue the corresponding card paper to my cardstock that
will make the lid before cutting any corners. I find this will give you
a neater finish. Also, I like to finish my boxes off with a bow or
some corresponding embellishments.
These are some of the boxes I have made to
correspond with my card orders.


I hope this tutorial helps you, please let me know how you go with them.

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to present your cards in that cute little box.
    Welcome to the team at C4E..
    Sandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Sandy, am so excited and Emily has been so nice. Ange

    ReplyDelete